[LLVMdev] GSoC - Range Analysis

John Regehr regehr at cs.utah.edu
Sat Mar 31 14:18:53 PDT 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, John Criswell wrote:

> One thing you could do to mitigate that problem is to do an experiment
> that *shows* that your analysis has the potential to find more
> optimization opportunities than what LLVM does today.

I strongly agree.  If the analysis doesn't provide a good value
proposition, almost nobody will care about it.

A great use case for value range analysis (that I'm personally very
interested in) is improving the performance of codes that check for
integer overflows:

   http://embed.cs.utah.edu/ioc/

The synergy should be obvious. To improve the performance of these codes,
someone will need to write a pass that uses value ranges to optimize the
LLVM intrinsics that check for math overflows.

Ideally, the overhead of overflow checking could be reduced to the point
where some users might enable it in production codes.

John Regehr