[LLVMdev] GSoC on LLVM usability?

Tobias Grosser tobias at grosser.es
Wed Mar 28 03:22:49 PDT 2012

On 03/28/2012 11:20 AM, Thibault Raffaillac wrote:
> Bump!
> I would very much appreciate you feedback on this proposal!

Hi Thibault,

I think in general this looks very interesting and helpful, but making
this actually work seems to be difficult. Here my two major concerns:

1. Relating LLVM-IR to the source code is difficult

Especially when optimizations are enabled relating LLVM-IR to the
original source code is difficult. How do you plan to give the user
feedback that he can relate to the code he has written?
How do you describe transformations that are only possible due to
previous transformations and that possibly do not have a related piece
of original source code?

2. There will be a lot of messages

LLVM performs a lot of transformations even if you just look at
instcombine. Which transformations are you planning to describe and how
will you make sure the user is not flooded by messages?

Cheers
Tobi