[LLVMdev] Dwarf info and .debug_pubnames section

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Thu Mar 8 19:39:20 PST 2012

On Mar 8, 2012, at 2:29 PM, Pranav Bhandarkar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just enabled the generation of dwarf debugging information for Hexagon. It
> did not require much save for the setting of a flag in MCAsmInfo.
>
> However, now I see that the ".debug_pubnames" sections is not generated. I
> did read discussion about the section not really being useful for debuggers
> in terms of accelerated access, but I have code that uses libdwarf to check
> for global variables. The particular libdwarf API queries the
> ".debug_pubnames" This code is no longer functional because my LLVM
> generated executables do not seem to have the .debug_pubnames sections. From
> the discussion I did not gather that the sections would be removed
> completely. Is that the case ?

Nope, it's removed completely. No debugger that I know of uses it at all and it's
useless for many reasons. Adding the code back in to generate it is possible (it's
a fairly small commit that's easily reverted), but I see no reason to have it generated
by default. What are you doing that involves looking for global variables in the pubnames
section?

-eric