[LLVMdev] ConstantExpr refactoring

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Sat Jun 30 05:08:26 PDT 2012

On 29 June 2012 23:34, Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
> No new passes; the idea is that all constant folding should be done by
> InstSimplify.

Ah, found it! ;)

Ok, that seems simple enough... but there is a problem.

If we remove the folding from ConstantExpr, lots of things will break
(and I don't trust the tests to tell me all of them), so my idea was
to replace it with InstSimplify (at build time), and slowly remove it
from each get*() function and fix the bugs.

But that means I'll have to call a FunctionPass at build time, and I'm
not sure that's possible, or even desirable. Is there a better
alternative?

--
cheers,
--renato