[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Gordon Keiser gkeiser at arxan.com
Wed Jun 27 11:11:36 PDT 2012

FWIW I use CMake + Visual Studio 2010 to build on Windows at home.   I won't install on my machine nor would I impose Cygwin/MinGW on anyone I liked.

> > CMake is not even capable of [...] setting up project files to build
> > LLVM as a DLL so they can build a compiler atop it
> -- Mason Wheeler, On 27 Jun 2012, at 13:29
>
> > CMake generates gigantic project files for IDEs like Visual Studio and
> > Xcode, which causes those IDEs to behavior very poorly, with long
> > project load times and sluggish overall performance. It's a
> > significant productivity problem.

devenv.exe llvm.sln /Build "Release|Win32" completes a couple of minutes faster on Windows for me than make -j8 does on Mac/Linux on similarly spec'd processors.  I've seen several comments like this (including mentions of VS having poor multithreading), but I haven't seen this in reality.