[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Wed Jun 27 06:19:26 PDT 2012

On 6/27/2012 7:55 AM, David Röthlisberger wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2012, at 01:19, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>> cmake, while ugly, can be made to support all of our use cases. There
>> are some use cases that autoconf+make can't support,
> So far I have assumed that "use cases that autoconf+make can't support"
> is referring to Windows support. (I am not a Windows user myself.)
Mainly MSVC Windows, and XCode.  Autoconf+make works great for MingW32
on Windows.  I have no experience with CygWin [which I do not use for
political reasons regarding its DLL licensing], or a true MSYS from
installer (the installer *.exe doesn't work out of the box on my windows
systems).

(I'm almost locked-in to autoconf+make, due to CMake's MSYS projects
being intentionally broken when the official MSYS sh.exe is on the
path.  Tweaking the MSYS project generator guard clause to disable this
intentional breakage works perfectly.)

Note: the DLL problem should be fully resolved for LLVM 3.2.  We had
politically-mandated intentional breakage problems on Linux (and
possibly other *NIX) for 3.0 and 3.1, but that cannot be blamed on CMake.

Kenneth