[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

David Röthlisberger david at rothlis.net
Wed Jun 27 05:55:36 PDT 2012

On 21 Jun 2012, at 01:19, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> cmake, while ugly, can be made to support all of our use cases. There
> are some use cases that autoconf+make can't support,

So far I have assumed that "use cases that autoconf+make can't support"
is referring to Windows support. (I am not a Windows user myself.)

But the following two statements left me wondering: Are people actually
using LLVM's CMake build system on Windows? Or are they using the
autoconf system with something like Cygwin / MinGW?

> CMake is not even capable of [...] setting up project files to build
> LLVM as a DLL so they can build a compiler atop it
-- Mason Wheeler, On 27 Jun 2012, at 13:29

> CMake generates gigantic project files for IDEs like Visual Studio and
> Xcode, which causes those IDEs to behavior very poorly, with long
> project load times and sluggish overall performance. It's a significant
> productivity problem.
-- Douglas Gregor, On 26 Jun 2012, at 17:42
(on thread "CMake Question: Do we need to support stand-alone builds?")

--Dave.