[LLVMdev] Develop on trunk.

Filipe Cabecinhas filcab at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 10:19:03 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM, dag at cray.com wrote:
> <dag at cray.com (mailto:dag at cray.com)> writes:
>
> > > - API instability is the exact same problem as code review latency --
> > > the API is no more stable, you're just deferring work.
> >

> > Yes, none of these things go away. That's not the point. The point is
> > that with a separate branch one can *schedule* them. Code review on
> > llvm-commits is painful not because of the actual reviews but because it
> > takes so dang long to get one. We can't wait a week or more to be able
> > to use our own code.
>

> Actually, git would solve a lot of these problems. With git we could
> share code within our organization while it is being reviewed upstream.
>
> I am working very hard to get git adopted here but it will take some
> time. Still, I think that is an important step to allow 3rd parties to
> develop on trunk and still maintain the development speed they require.
> It would be easier if LLVM also adopted git but I don't think that's
> going to happen, unfortunately.
>
> -Dave

It's not as bad as it used to be. There is an up-to-date, official, git mirror, and instructions for it in the documentation.
You can use that mirror to set up your company's git repository and even use it for committing to the svn repository, which is what I've been doing (though I'm not sharing my git repository with anyone, for now).

Regards,

  Filipe