[LLVMdev] "ninja update" not working.

Csaba Raduly rcsaba at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 03:21:25 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Chandler Carruth  wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Mikael Lyngvig  wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The docs state that you can do a "make update" to update all top-level and
>> embedded projects from Subversion.
>

> This is a feature of the configure+make build system, and not a feature of
> the CMake build system. I also don't have any real desire to support it as
> part of the CMake build system, I think it was always a flawed idea to
> implement version control commands as part of a build system.
>
> For example, I never, *ever* to in-tree builds, and a usually have many
> different builds associated with a single source repository. This makes the
> semantics of 'make update' quite confusing.

I can't see why it's confusing. I have only one source tree and any
number of build trees; "make update" in each build tree updates the
source tree.
It's true that after the build (make happiness) finishes in one build
dir, there are always new files to be pulled down when doing "make
happiness" in the other build dir :)

Csaba