[LLVMdev] PATCH: AddressSanitizer: Fix errors about mis-matched exception specifiers for intercepted libc functions on Linux

Kostya Serebryany kcc at google.com
Mon Jun 25 03:15:14 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>wrote:

> I really don't see why this is the correct fix.
>
> 1) I like including the system's headers. It ensures that the interceptor
> DTRT.
> 2) It's hardly the only system header you pull in here

Oh, it actually is (was) the only system header left in this file. I am
glad to be able to get rid of it.
I've been fighting the system headers for a long time now: for this kind of
code they are surprisingly painful.
Now, we have zero system headers in .h files and just a few in OS-dependent
.cc files.

We are replacing functions that have a very clear "C" interface which is
not going to change, so including system headers does not help.
But it actually hurts very much: event some innocent system headers like
stddef.h or stdlib.h bring along some unexpected typedefs, definds, decls,
etc.
Things get worse if a .cc file is used on more than one platform (e.g.
asan_malloc_linux.cc
is also used on Android) where the system headers are different.

> 3) I think we should probably match what glibc does when declaring these
> routines. any reason to avoid this?

We only need to keep the functions binary-compatible.

--kcc