[LLVMdev] Is NASM supported by LLVM?

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Thu Jun 21 01:35:37 PDT 2012

On Jun 20, 2012, at 11:12 PM, Thomson wrote:

> I saw some LLVM generated assembly in NASM format, but did find this support in the official release. Is this supported?
I have no idea where people get this silly notion that Intel syntax is the same as Netwide* syntax. They are NOT the same. They are similar, but not the same.

LLVM does not support the Netwide syntax. (There was talk of it, but nothing ever came of it--so far, at least) It does, however, support the Intel syntax... sort of. Specifically, it supports the GNU variant of it (where the actual instructions use Intel syntax, but pseudo-ops use GNU syntax--'.byte' instead of 'DB', for example).

* That's what the 'N' in "NASM' stands for.

Chip