[LLVMdev] Ninja (make replacement)

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Sun Jun 17 16:39:02 PDT 2012

Christoph Erhardt <christoph at sicherha.de> writes:

> Hi Mikael,
>
>> My Clang build used to take 59:29 minutes using MinGW Makefiles.  With
>> Ninja, it takes 18:43 minutes!  That's a speed up of factor three.
> sorry for asking the obvious question: Are you comparing against a
> parallel "make -j<n>"? :-)

I'm pretty sure he isn't. Building Clang+LLVM with MinGW, maybe ninja is
faster than gmake by a few dozen seconds on Windows. The real advantage
is over the build tools traditionally used with the Visual Studio
toolchain, because all of have limited support for parallelization.

The other aspect where ninja shines over all other build tools is at
being fast parsing the makefiles and determining what needs to be
rebuilt. This is something people appreciate while rebuilding big
projects after small changes.

BTW Mikael, have you checked http://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html ?