[LLVMdev] Fwd: RFC: "Building with MinGW on Windows" (DOC, NEW)

NAKAMURA Takumi geek4civic at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 04:20:18 PDT 2012

2012/6/17 Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at lyngvig.org>:
> The reason I use 32-bit Python is that it is what you need, if you want to
> make a Windows buildbot slave because the Win32 bindings are needed and I
> don't think Buildbot works with the 64-bit Win64 bindings yet.  So I am
> trying to share paths here at the cost of having the user install a 32-bit
> version of Python even on a 64-bit system.  The document actually started
> out as a guide for how to set up a Windows buildbot slave, but then it got
> split up.

My buildslave (mingw and msvc) is running on python x64.
http://bb.pgr.jp/buildslaves/win7
I don't remember how it was harder to set up the slave.

> The only result I've seen with make is that there's no difference between
> make -j2 and j-4: it only uses 50 percent CPU load in both cases (also on a
> quad-core box).

I suspect your make.exe might not be capable of -jN.
gussing "mingw32-make.exe"
For me, -j4 shows me much more improvement than -j2. (and tends to
hang up more earlier)

> About integrating into VS document: I am using a new path here, it seems,
> cmake + mingw32.  I don't even need to have MSVC installed to build this
> way.

Me too, though, I would not like to install and use MS development
environments any more. :p

As long as cmake/mingw (not msys) is used, the difference against
cmake/msvc would not be so huge.
Extremely, only compiler differs each other.
(You know, we are developing 3rd compiler on win32, cl.exe, gcc.exe,
... and clang.exe!)

I won't let you install and describe how to build with MS cl.exe,  for now.
I will tweak either (or both) of documents in future.
Go on now ;)

...Takumi