[LLVMdev] Fwd: RFC: "Building with MinGW on Windows" (DOC, NEW)

NAKAMURA Takumi geek4civic at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 17:08:57 PDT 2012

2012/6/16 Justin Holewinski <justin.holewinski at gmail.com>:
> Under Python installation, you mention that Python is only needed for the
> test suite.  This is not true, as the normal LLVM build still requires
> Python.

That's right. Now, python>=2.4 is essential.
(In contrast, perl is not required, IIRC)

> I would seriously consider splitting this up into "building LLVM/Clang" and
> then "getting and running the test suite."  At first glance, a Windows user
> may get overwhelmed by the number of steps that are listed in this document.
>  But only a handful of them are actually needed if you just want to build
> LLVM/Clang and do not care about the test suite.  Or at the very least
> include a Windows quick-start guide at the beginning which just lists
> Python, CMake, and MinGW.  And then introduce Subversion if they want the
> latest sources, then everything else if they want to run the test suite.

As long as building llvm and clang with cmake on win32,
We may say, "Choose your compiler, mingw32-gcc.exe or ms cl.exe (or,
mingw32-clang.exe)"
Processes among compilers would be similar.

Suggested sections;

  - Install CMake
  - Install Python
    - Install VS Express (optional)
    - Install mingw32 (optional)
    - Install MSYS (optional)
  - Configure your build with cmake
    - Build and install on VS
    - Build and install on MSYS (or mingw32 cmd.exe)
  - Inter-platform testing with Lit
  - Run test-suite with Cygwin (optional! Also Takumi has not tried ever!)

BTW, shall we introduce "msbuild" here, too?

msbuild -m -nologo -v:m tools\clang\test\clang-test.vcxproj -p:Configuration=%1

...Takumi