[LLVMdev] scoreboard hazard det. and instruction groupings

Anshuman Dasgupta adasgupt at codeaurora.org
Mon Jun 11 12:02:58 PDT 2012

Hal,

On 6/11/2012 12:48 PM, Andrew Trick wrote:
> Ignoring compile time for a moment, I think an advantage of a DFA is modeling a situation where the hardware can assign resources to best fit the entire group rather then one instruction at a time. For example, if InstA requires either Unit0 or Unit1, and InstB requires Unit0, is {InstA, InstB} a valid group? Depending on your cpu, a DFA could either recognize that it's valid, or give you a chance to reorder the instructions within a group once they've been selected.

I would recommend the DFA mechanism as well from what you've described.
It considers all permutations of mapping instructions to functional
units. To add to what Andrew said, note that the DFA answers the
question of whether there exists a legal mapping of a group of
instructions to functional units. It does not, however, return a legal
mapping. Will that be sufficient for what you want?

-Anshu