[LLVMdev] no differnce in the execution time between seq. and parallel programs

Esraa ehoa20 at bath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 07:38:20 PDT 2012

Duncan Sands <baldrick <at> free.fr> writes:

> Hi esraa,
>
> > i am using LLVM to execute two programs both of them was exactly
> > similar but the difference was the first one is a sequential program
> > has three functions. In the second program i am trying to execute it
> > by giving each function to thread (three thread work in parallel way)
> > ,but when i am trying to calculate the execution time i found the
> > execution time for parallel one larger than sequential one ????
>
> this is a very vague description and it's hard to understand what you mean
> here.  Maybe you mean that you used clang to compile a program containing
> openmp macros.  If so you have discovered that clang does not support openmp:
> use the dragonegg LLVM front-end instead.
>
> Ciao, Duncan.
>

> > note
> > I execute both of these program in gcc compiler and i found there is a
> > difference in the execution time between these programs.The parallel
> > one was faster than the sequential one.
> >
> > i will be thankful if any one can help me
> > Regards
> > esraa

Hi Ciao
Thank you very much for the quick reply and sorry for misunderstanding me.
I am working with some optimizing techniques to transform the sequential program
to parallel program  and after I finish this transformation  I need to  make
comparison between the execution time for seq. and optimized one(parallel ).
Before I automated  this method using the llvm , I did this work manually.

In the first time I used the gcc to compile two versions of program seq. and
parallel( three threads work together  using  POSIX Pthread libraries).   I
found that there was difference in the execution time between these two programs
(parallel one was faster than the seq. program).

Now I have repeating the same comparison (same two version of program that I
wrote before using c language )  by using llvm-gcc to get llvm byte code and
then llvm-ld to get executable program and made the  comparison between them.

I was surprised when I found the result  for my gcc experiments was different
from the result of llvm experiment.

I would be happy if you give me an insight into what could have caused the
difference.
Many thanks
Esraa