[LLVMdev] llvm-tv

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 5 18:00:14 PDT 2012

On 6/5/12 7:45 PM, AbhishekR wrote:
> Thanks John. I verified that and poolalloc builds with LLVM 3.0. I
> used clang for compiling wxWidgets, LLVM 3.0 and poolalloc.
>
> But llvm-tv build still gives build error. I take it that llvm-tv is
> still incompatible with these versions of poolalloc and LLVM 3.0. I
> think the code is manageable - couple of files in lib,include and some
> 30 odd small files in tools directory. I'll have a look at the code to
> sort out the build errors.

The llvm-tv project hasn't been used in a long, long time.  In fact, I
don't think anyone has used it or worked on it since LLVM 2.0 was
released back in 2007.

If you want to update llvm-tv to LLVM 3.0 (or, better yet, LLVM 3.1),
that would be cool, but just be aware that it's a significant project
that you'll have to do on your own (the LLVM internal API has changed *a
lot* since llvm-tv was written).  I also don't know how much demand
there is for a tool like llvm-tv.

That said, people on llvm-dev are usually happy to answer questions on
the LLVM 3.1/LLVM mainline API.

> Have you tried compiling/using llvm-tv with these versions of
> poolalloc and LLVM-3.0?
>
> Here is the llvm-tv build error -
>
> /home/arhishee/work/llvm-tv/llvm-tv/lib/Snapshot/FileUtils.cpp:32:5:
> error: use of undeclared identifier 'perror'
>     perror("scandir");
>     ^
> /home/arhishee/work/llvm-tv/llvm-tv/lib/Snapshot/FileUtils.cpp:50:5:
> error: use of undeclared identifier 'perror'
>     perror("scandir");

The perror() function is a Unix/Posix function.  The llvm-tv code is
probably assuming that some LLVM header files #includes the definition
of it.  This was true in LLVM 1.x; it's not true now.  You'll have to
search out and fix all these issues if you work on llvm-tv.

As an FYI, I never worked on llvm-tv.  I just made the comment about
poolalloc in the case that your primary interest was in understanding
the poolalloc transform.

-- John T.