[LLVMdev] llvm-? new mailing list?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Jun 4 19:27:21 PDT 2012

Tanya Lattner <lattner at apple.com> writes:

> Traffic on llvm-dev is quite high and while the majority of it is LLVM
> development related, there are many other mails related to clients or
> other projects.
>
> Having an llvm-users doesn't make any sense, but perhaps having a
> llvm-clients or llvm-general mailing list may help offload some of the
> traffic.
>
> What do people think? Any other suggestions to divide up the traffic
> and reach the right people?

See how many threads about clang are started here, and clang has its own
sub-website and mailing list. I don't think that an -users or -clients
mailing list would have less misfires, quite the contrary, giving the
difficulty of separating what's core-developing and what's client stuff
for a modular, extensible API framework such as LLVM. And some users
would post to -dev anyways because they would think that there is where
the real experts are. Which would be almost correct, because some
developers who usually help users on this ml would not subscribe to
-users, or would not monitor it so frequently as -dev.

Plus, IIRC on the past such -users ml was suggested and rejected by
Chris on the grounds of not creating a wall separating developers and
users (sorry if I'm misrepresenting something, it was lots of years
ago). When you run an open source project where most users have the same
profile as the developers, this makes so much sense that I think it is
unnecessary to list those reasons.

Finally, it seems that nowadays most development discussions happens
elsewhere, either on llvm-commits, IRC on in-house. Maybe the net result
of the split would be moving all current traffic from -dev to -users :-)