[LLVMdev] Benchmarks for small embedded platforms

James Pallister james.pallister at embecosm.com
Tue Jul 31 04:43:59 PDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

As you may recall (I posted a while back) I'm currently doing a project
measuring the energy consumption for different compiler flags. I've now
gathered a set of benchmarks which I think are appropriate, for these
(very) low end embedded platforms.

The benchmarks that have been chosen:
 - CRC32, SHA
 - Prime sifting
 - Integer / floating point matrix multiplication
 - Cubic root solver
 - 2D convolution, FFT, fast discrete cosine transform
 - Dijkstra, Patricia
 - Rjindael, Blowfish, Triple DES
 - Arithmetic coding (?)

More info at:
http://jpallister.com/wiki/index.php?title=Benchmarks#Final_Benchmark_Choice

These have been chosen because:
 - most have code available under the GPL
 - they are small enough to fit on the target platforms (the ARM
Cortex-M0 we have only has 64 KiB flash and 8 KiB RAM)
 - they are wide ranging enough to exercise most points of all the
target platforms.

Currently I haven't found a benchmark for arithmetic coding, as a lot of
it is covered by patents. Does anyone know of any (preferably GPL) code
or benchmarks for this type of thing?

Also do you think there is anything I've missed, or have any other
recommendations for benchmarks for small embedded platforms?

Thanks,
James