[LLVMdev] proposal for exploiting undefined behavior much more aggressively

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Jul 27 00:00:25 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2012, at 9:58 AM, John Regehr wrote:
> > http://blog.regehr.org/archives/761
>
> It's an interesting post, but I'd like to point out that it is a non-goal
> for the project to be actively hostile to users of the compiler.  :)  It is
> useful to have debugging tools for people who really care, but "exploiting"
> undefined behavior just for the sake of breaking code is a non-goal.

Also, as a bit of a teaser, I think Richard Smith is going to be looking
into providing much more extensive optional *checking* of undefined
behavior. Essentially, '-fcatch-undefined-behavior' may grow some serious
teeth. This should allow users to check their code fairly aggressively for
UB but not needlessly punish code or those debugging code.