[LLVMdev] Help me do Hacking Clang source code

Journeyer J. Joh oosaprogrammer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 05:59:49 PDT 2012

Hi list,

I am now started to read Clang source code.
And I found any conversion from input file(.c, .i, .s) to the output
file(.i, .s, .o) is done the process below.

- FrontAction::BeginSourceFile()
- FrontAction::Execute
- FrontAction::EndSourceFile()

And I drew some activity diagram below.

http://www.opencpp.kr/behavior_of_clang.html

>From the diagram I can guess that these are main actors in the movie, Clang.
- Diagnostic client
- Action
- Preprocessor
- Consumer of AST and AST
- File and Source Manager

Because Clang is well-structured C++ code, I believe there would be a
big picture for it's design.
If someone provide hints about this I would read Clang much more smoothly.
I'd like to know the architecture used in the back of those below.
- FrontAction::BeginSourceFile()
- FrontAction::Execute
- FrontAction::EndSourceFile()

I even don't know where to find the starting point of compile, assemble.

The pattern used, I also want to know.

Thank you very much in advance.

Journeyer J. Joh
Journeyer J. Joh