[LLVMdev] Is IR VM does make sense since llvm3 ?

Pierre P ploploplop123 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:39:30 PDT 2012

Hi llvm list !

Everything is in the question.
I've read this discussion on the mailinglist * [LLVMdev] LLVM IR is a
compiler IR<https://groups.google.com/d/topic/llvm-dev/N3r_a1Vbrog/discussion>
. *
But since llvm3 and type system rewrite, is it a good idea to rethink about
a VM wich could run the IR bytecode directly?

llvm has differents bytecode from low level, to more hight level... So do
you see some interest to have this kind of VM for one of this bytcode ?
Is it hight level enougth like java byte code ?

My second obvious question is about the bycode format, is it stable enought
to concider using it as an 'archive' source/byte code ?

Thanks for some guidances, before investing lots of energy !

Frank