[LLVMdev] clan -x assembler fails on vcvttsd2siq instruction

jj h59213 at rtrtr.com
Mon Jul 16 12:49:28 PDT 2012

片山 伸彦 <nobu.katayama <at> ipmu.jp> writes:

> Dear llvm developers,
>
> I am trying to run clang assembler to use avx instructions on Mac.
>
> I use gcc 4.7.1 to generate  .s files from .c files. I can assemble foo.s by
>
> clang -c -x assembler foo.s
>
> to get foo.o but
>
> clang -c -x assembler foo_long.s
>
> fails with
>
> $clang -x assembler foo_long.s
> foo_long.s:27:2: error: invalid instruction mnemonic 'vcvttsd2siq'
>         vcvttsd2siq     %xmm0, %rax
>         ^~~~~~~~~~~
>
> clang can assemble many other .s files with avx instructions.  I tried the
default clang, clang+llvm 3.1
> binary and svn checked out llvm/clang. All same.
>
> Have you any idea?
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Nobu
>
> Nobu Katayama
> nobu.katayama <at> ipmu.jp

Same problem here. I have used clang (both OS X 10.6.8 native clang-2.9 and
Macports clang-3.1) in a wrapper script along with GCC 4.7.1 to build ATLAS
(tuned BLAS and LAPACK libraries). I ran into this error as well.

error: invalid instruction mnemonic 'vcvttsd2siq'
        vcvttsd2siq     %xmm0, %rax

The wrapper script is described here:
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3a-gcc,-as,-AVX,-binutils-and-MacOS-X-10.7-p32584737.html

JJ