[LLVMdev] FYI: Planning to remove ProfileInfo and related passes from LLVM

#ALOK PRAKASH# ALOK0001 at e.ntu.edu.sg
Sun Jul 15 20:41:45 PDT 2012

Hi Chandler and Alastair,

I have been using the Profile.pl and the related passes and optimizations for about 4 years now. With every new release lately, the support for the profile scripts and their framework seemed to be downgrading. Hence, I used my own tiny one line fixes to keep them working. I offered to send these small patches to keep these scripts working, to the LLVM dev so that others can use it if they want. I think my email got lost that time, in the sea of emails we see on the dev mail list.

I must confess that I was not aware of the BPI and BFI infrastructures. The breaking of the profiling infrastructure always baffled me. Now it makes sense, since it has been superseded by these new frameworks.

Anyway, if you guys decide to keep the old profiling framework, it would be good. As Alastair has mentioned, the llvm-prof helps in a way for instrumenting the code with the profile data. Maybe this is also part of the BPI/BFI in which case it's great.

Cheers,
Alok
PhD Candidate, NTU Singapore.