[LLVMdev] RFC: How can AddressSanitizer, ThreadSanitizer, and similar runtime libraries leverage shared library code?

Alexey Samsonov samsonov at google.com
Wed Jul 11 03:59:04 PDT 2012

Reviving the discussion.

The cool cmake-build of compiler-rt is not completely functional, but
allows sanitizer runtimes to reuse LLVM code with almost no dirty hacks.
Suppose I want to run call functions from LLVM libs (currently:
LLVMDebugInfo, LLVMSupport) from sanitizer runtime.

1) I can simply include LLVM headers in sanitizer runtime, and it compiles
and builds static asan runtime perfectly (wow).
2) Now building and running ASan unittests is simple - you just have to add
a couple of lines to CMakeLists.
        target_link_libraries(${testname} LLVMSupport)
        target_link_libraries(${testname} LLVMDebugInfo)
3) Now to make "-faddress-sanitizier" work you have to patch a Clang
driver, so that it links not only ASan runtime, but also two
  of the mentioned static LLVM libraries (and add -lstdc++ flag as well).

But, as Dmitry mentioned, we may run into troubles as we may mix
instrumented and un-instrumented
versions of the same functions (identical methods from std::vector<> will
be instrumented in user-code and not instrumented in LLVM code).
This problem seem to be more important for TSan (it takes some effort to
check that, as TSan is not currently buildable with LLVM, I think
I can try to fix this soon).

Chandler, is this exactly the problem you're trying to solve with your
linker tool?
Dmitry, do I understand correctly that it's really better to get rid of
unnecessary (if not all) STL in LLVM methods we plan to use anyway?

--
Alexey Samsonov, MSK