[LLVMdev] Accessing Return Variable Names

John Backes back0145 at umn.edu
Thu Jul 5 14:15:46 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'm new to llvm development and I have a question which I think should
be straight forward, but I am having trouble figuring it out.  I want to
be able to access the return variable name for an instruction.  For some
instructions I can get this value through the "getName" method.  For
example, with the instruction:

 > %arg11 = bitcast i32* %arg1 to i8*, !dbg !42, !id !43

calling the "getName" method returns:

 > arg11

However, for the instruction:

 > %4 = load i32* %arg1, align 4, !dbg !57, !id !59

the "getName" method returns the empty string.  How would I find the
value "4" for this load instruction?  Thanks in advance.

- John