[LLVMdev] A LLVM shout-out from Charlie Stross

Marshall Clow mclow.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:29:25 PDT 2012

[ Sorry if this is the wrong list; I don't know of an 'llvm-news' list ]

In a discussion about ebooks on his blog (http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2012/07/why-ebooks-are-not-like-paper-.html):

> 	Why ebooks are not like paper books
[snip]
> Other key points:
>
> It's irrelevant in trade fiction, but epub 3.x permits embedding of Javascript. Which means that technical books can contain anything, up to and including a full i486 emulator running Linux. Or a Python interpreter. The LLVM compiler can emit Javascript instead of machine code; arbitrary programs are now embeddable in ebooks. This is going to revolutionize some aspects of publishing; imagine a programming tutorial where the code examples are editable and executable, inside the ebook.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:mclow.lists at gmail.com>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki