[LLVMdev] [RFC] Module Flags Metadata

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Jan 24 01:35:06 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is a proposal for implementing "module flags". Please take a look at
> this and give any feedback you may have.
>
> Thanks!
> -bw
>
>                         Module Flags Metadata

I have only one real comment -- this violates the contract and spirit of
LLVM's metadata design. You're specifically encoding semantics in metadata,
but the principle of metadata is that a program with all metadata stripped
has the same behavior as one with the metadata still in place.

I think what you're really talking about are Module-level attributes much
like we have function attributes. These have inherently significant
semantics, and must be handled explicitly, not simply dropped when unknown.

Anyways, that's my only real comment about the proposal. I think you need
something other than metadata to encode this.