[LLVMdev] landingpad instruction documentation is vague

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Wed Jan 11 02:37:50 PST 2012

Hi Yuri,

> I am new to the landingpad (which is relatively new too).
> Documentation http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#i_landingpad leaves some
> questions open:
>
> 1. What happens when actual exception type isn't listed in catch or
> filter clauses? Does it still return the corresponding structure like if
> it was listed? Or behavior is undefined?

if it doesn't match a clause then the exception continues to be unwound.
Note that you can match a catch clause without being equal to the type
in the catch clause (for example because the catch clause type represents
some class B, and thus will also match a class A if B derives from A).

> 2. What is 'somety'? Shouldn't it maybe say "result_type" instead? In
> the instructions printed by clang++, somety is { i8*, i32 }.

The type is not specified to allow for exotic exception handling schemes
in which returning something funky is useful.  The code generators only
support Dwarf exception handling and setjmp/longjmp exception handling
which both use { i8*, i32 }, so while you can use any type in the IR,
only this type will work if you use the LLVM code generators to produce
code for your machine.  Note that the language reference explicitly says
"The resultval has the type somety".

> 3. What are the allowed values and types passed to catch clause? I see
> that practically type is i8* and value is bitcast (i8** @<typeinfo>  to
> i8*). Is this target specific? If yes, documentation should mention
> this, if not, it should describe them.

No, it's not target specific and in fact any pointer type is OK for a catch
clause.  Clang has no need to bitcast to i8* in general, probably it is a
historical hangover from the previous exception handling scheme which did
require i8*.  The dragonegg frontend doesn't do such bitcasts and works
perfectly fine.

> 4. Example in documentation shows catch clause as "catch i8** @_ZTIi"
> and clang++ generated example shows "catch i8* bitcast (i8** @_ZTIi to i8*)"

See point 3.