[LLVMdev] getelementptr being lowered to ptrtoint/.../inttoptr?

Dillon Sharlet dsharlet at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 11:00:19 PST 2012

Hello,

I am working on an application of LLVM where I would strongly prefer that
getelementptr not be lowered into pointer arithmetic by any passes other
than my own. I'm writing a ModulePass.

I am observing a situation where I compile a C++ file with no optimization
and I get code as I would expect that uses getelementptr. However, if I
enable optimization with -O3, *some* of my getelementptr instructions are
lowered to ptrtoint/add-mulinttoptr sequences, but not others.

As far as I can tell, there is no advantage to what LLVM is doing here
(such as re-using pointer arithmetic computations).

The 'Often Misunderstood GEP page' makes it sound like optimization always
replaces pointer arithmetic with GEP instructions at the end, even if it
might be an 'uglygep' (is this an instruction? it isn't in the language
reference) instead of a getelementptr. Is the problem that my pass is not
at the end of the optimization passes? If this is the case,  how can I more
effectively guarantee this? Right now I'm adding my pass immediately before
MachineModuleInfo (after the verifier pass, if it is enabled).

Another note, this only happens in a few programs I try to build, most of
the time getelementptr is left unchanged through the compiler to my pass.

Is there a way to prevent LLVM from doing this? Btw, I'm using LLVM 3.0.

Thanks!
Dillon