[LLVMdev] SwitchInst handling in backend

Matt Johnson johnso87 at crhc.illinois.edu
Mon Feb 27 13:05:30 PST 2012

On 02/27/2012 02:52 PM, Nico wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I want to know how switch instructions are handled in the backend, where do I have to look first?
> I'm not familiar with the backend framework and I couldn't figure out the interface between the LLVM instruction 'SwitchInst' and whatever there is in the backend.
LLVM IR gets passed to the backend as a SelectionDAG, which is
constructed by peephole expansion of the IR (see
http://llvm.org/releases/3.0/docs/CodeGenerator.html#selectiondag_intro
).  The relevant code for 'select' instructions in IR is the
visitSelect() function in
lib/CodeGen/SelectionDAG/SelectionDAGBuilder.cpp; a select gets expanded
into a ISD::SELECT (for scalar types) or ISD::VECTOR (for vector types)
for each select operand, plus a ISD::MERGE_VALUES to multiplex them all
together.

For the MIPS backend handling code, see
lib/Target/Mips/MipsISelLowering.cpp.  In particular,
setOperation(ISD::SELECT, <typename>, Custom) means that the MIPS
backend lowers SELECTS in C++ rather than a simple tablegen pattern.  In
LowerSELECT() in that same file, you can see that MIPS will create a
conditional move if the select condition is set by a floating point
comparison, and the "return Op;" it does otherwise means that other
cases should be handled by the default machinery rather than custom
lowering code.

The "default machinery" requires quite a bit of background knowledge to
understand, but the Code Generator doc gives a good broad overview, and
the above is the extent of custom select-handling code in the MIPS backend.

-Matt