[LLVMdev] We need better hashing

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:26:57 PST 2012

OK here's a patch with the latest, including unit tests. I've also tried to
make the comments clear that this is intended for the case of "generic" key
types, where you are either hashing multiple data types together, or you
don't know in advance what the data type will be - for cases such as
strings where a tailored algorithm is available, you should use that
instead of this.

There's a couple of things I don't like: First, there's too many levels of
inlined function calls - my experience is that compilers aren't as good at
inlining nested calls as is often advertised, however I couldn't figure out
a way to get the same effect without the nested calls.

Similarly the addBitsImpl helper types are a little too complex and magical
for my taste, but again I couldn't think of a better way to automatically
detect whether to use the aligned vs. unaligned hashing routine.

--
-- Talin