[LLVMdev] Loop dependence analysis

Sanjoy Das sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com
Sun Feb 12 15:01:21 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm currently trying to implement [1] basic loop-dependence analysis
for LLVM (since most of the symbol handling code is already there in
SCEV) and I'm facing the following issues:

Let's say we have a loop

void test(int *array, unsigned long length) {
  for (unsigned long i = 0; i < length; i++)
    array[3 * length - i] = array[i];
}

For there to be a loop carried dependency, we'd have to have (3 *
length / 2) < length which we know doesn't hold, since length is
always positive.  Unfortunately, the LLVM IR tell us nothing about the
unsignedness of length, and SCEV ends up making a useless conservative
estimate.  Is there some way around this?

Secondly, I'm currently comparing A and B by creating an SCEV for (A -
B) and then checking isZero, isKnownNonPositive etc.  Is this a good
idea?

Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/sanjoy/llvm/tree/lda
--