[LLVMdev] register allocation

Jonas Paulsson jonas.paulsson at ericsson.com
Fri Feb 3 00:26:52 PST 2012

Well, I actually glue my condition-registers already, but as far as I know this only affects the scheduling from the DAG to the MachineFunction. It still happened that a register allocator at -O0 would spill this register for no reason at all in between these instructions.

The CopyCost attribute would help me, if the register allocators would factor it in with the spillWeight calculation. I suppose this would be fairly simple to implement, given that all the register allocators except -fast use the CalcSpillWeights class, where it could be included. Would this make sense to you as a patch? Maybe CopyCost and SpillCost should be held separate, I don't know, but in this case a new attribute could be introduced.

Jonas