[LLVMdev] Opt ...the pass manager utility

Umesh Kalappa umesh.kalappa0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 04:35:36 PST 2012

Hi All,

I know ,I'm bugging  around  people here :-) ...As said i'm very new too
LLVM  and try to understand its framework to contribute to same by using
 my experience..

Here i was trying to understand the analysis and transformation phase in
steps using opt utility and i'm stalled here.
i.e  run the utility  on sample by --basicaa switch  and output was

$ opt -f -S  -basicaa  -gvn -dse  -debug-pass=Structure test4.s
Pass Arguments:  -targetlibinfo -targetdata -no-aa -basicaa -domtree
-memdep -gvn -memdep -dse -preverify -verify -print-module
Target Library Information
Target Data Layout
*No Alias Analysis (always returns 'may' alias)*
Basic Alias Analysis (stateless AA impl)
  ModulePass Manager
    FunctionPass Manager
      Dominator Tree Construction
      Memory Dependence Analysis
      Global Value Numbering
      Memory Dependence Analysis
      Dead Store Elimination
      Preliminary module verification
      Module Verifier
    Print module to stderr
; ModuleID = 'test4.s'

I believe the opt output should be ...something like

$ opt -f -S  -basicaa  -gvn -dse  -debug-pass=Structure test4.s
Pass Arguments:  -targetlibinfo -targetdata -no-aa -basicaa -domtree
-memdep -gvn -memdep -dse -preverify -verify -print-module
Target Library Information
Target Data Layout
Basic Alias Analysis (stateless AA impl)
  ModulePass Manager
    FunctionPass Manager
      Dominator Tree Construction
      Memory Dependence Analysis