[LLVMdev] Git-Svn commit?

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Mon Dec 31 17:09:25 PST 2012

On 1 January 2013 00:52, Sean Silva <silvas at purdue.edu> wrote:
> Basically, once you are set up with git-svn (see
> <http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#for-developers-to-work-with-git-svn>),
> all you have to do is `git svn dcommit`.

Oh, the docs do mention "dcommit" en passant, but nothing explicit.

> 1. checkout master and pull from origin.
> 2. rebase stuff to be committed onto master.

Can you commit directly from branches? Or do you have to merge to
master to commit?

> 3. `git svn dcommit --dry-run` to see what is going to be committed.
> 4. `git svn dcommit --interactive` to doublecheck that the right stuff
> is being committed as you send it off.

I agree on being explicit. I generally prefer to write small shell
scripts that will stop on unwanted situation than hope for git/svn to
be safe. From experience, neither is completely trustworthy, though I,
too, can't blame the tools without blaming myself. ;)

> This probably deserves to be mentioned on a "Workflows" document,
> listing a sampling of the different development workflows that people
> use when developing LLVM. I've been wanting to write a document like
> that for a while now, and this thread might be just the impetus I need
> (if you're interested in this please say so).

If you're up to writing the docs, I'd be happy to serve as the Guinea
pig to test it.

--
cheers,
--renato