[LLVMdev] llvm msil couple questions

Tim Prepscius timprepscius at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 19:42:42 PST 2012

Hey there,

Searching via the web is not producing answers....  So I thought I
would ask the gods of llvm. :-)

I'd like to experiment with the llc in conjunction with msil.

but I am running into this error:
llc-mp-2.9 test.ll -march=msil
/opt/local/libexec/llvm-2.9/bin/llc: error: invalid target 'msil'.

the version string is:

llc-mp-2.9 --version
Low Level Virtual Machine (http://llvm.org/):
  llvm version 2.9
  Optimized build.
  Built May 31 2012 (21:15:36).
  Host: x86_64-apple-darwin11
  Host CPU: penryn

which was installed with:
sudo port install llvm-2.9

Searching on the web, I see that msil was available in 2.0..

Can anyone give any hints as to how to enable msil as a "Registered Target?"

Thanks a lot.

I'll start my own investigations on Monday.

Also, I have another question with regard to what I'll be
experimenting on.  If anyone has any hints before I dive in, feel free
to chime in.

I am going to attempt to:
Compile C/C++ code into LLVM IR.
Compile the IR into MSIL.
Run the MSIL with a MicroDotNet VM + JIT plugin in the browser and
replace javascript.

I think I will need only minimal core libraries, so, perhaps
no/minimal dependencies on a glib.

My goals are to have near zero startup, 5% JIT overhead, no garbage
collection, sandboxing, running C/C++/anything I can throw at LLVM.

-tim