[LLVMdev] Getting rid of tabs in LLVM's assembly output?

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Tue Dec 18 11:51:48 PST 2012

On Dec 18, 2012, at 11:36 AM, "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale at unisys.com> wrote:

>> From: llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu [mailto:llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu]
>> On Behalf Of Eli Bendersky
>> Subject: [LLVMdev] Getting rid of tabs in LLVM's assembly output?
>
>> Problem: I then get tabs in my tests, which are discouraged by LLVM's
>> own code standards, because assembly output uses tabs extensively.
>
>> Proposal: get rid of tabs by just replacing them with two spaces everywhere.
>
> That will cause some really ugly output; can a somewhat more intelligent formatter be used to keep columns aligned?

I don't mind getting rid of tabs as a general thing, but it is a rather large undertaking. I concur with Chuck that we'd want to replace them with some intelligent column-aware formatting rather than a straight "two spaces per tab."

FWIW, partly for this exact reason, there's effectively a local exception that tabs are OK in .s file assembler test cases. If that's the main motivation, I wouldn't worry about it.

-Jim