[LLVMdev] Kaleidoscope Build Problems - (OCaml)

Frank White frankwhite1003 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 16:06:57 PST 2012

Hello everyone...

I'm hoping that someone can give me insight as to why I am having problems
building the Kaleidoscope example for OCaml.

Platform: Mac OS 10.8.2
OCaml version: 4.00.1
LLVM version: 3.1
XCode version: 4.5.2

I successfully build the examples when running "gnumake BUILD_EXAMPLES=1"
in the OBJ_DIR, however when I try to build them from outside the build
tree (ie move the source into my own subtree), I run into problems.

When I try to build (ocamlbuild toy.byte) after moving the llvm_* .cma,
.cmo. .cmx .cmxa and  .a into the local directory, I get the following
error.

+ /usr/local/bin/ocamlc.opt llvm.cma llvm_analysis.cma
llvm_executionengine.cma llvm_target.cma llvm_scalar_opts.cma -cc clang++
ast.cmo token.cmo parser.cmo codegen.cmo lexer.cmo toplevel.cmo toy.cmo
bindings.o -o toy.byte
clang: warning: treating 'c' input as 'c++' when in C++ mode, this behavior
is deprecated
ld: library not found for -lllvm_scalar_opts
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)
File "_none_", line 1:
Error: Error while building custom runtime system
Command exited with code 2.

I noticed that the make files provided do not use myocamlbuild.ml (and
hence the ocamlbuild tool), but quite frankly, I find it difficult to
follow exactly how they find the library files required in the OBJ_DIR tree
to do the build.

Any explicit attempt to include library paths gives me the following error.

ocamlbuild -I /usr/local/bin toy.byte

Failure:
  Included or excluded directories must be implicit (not "/usr/local/bin").
Compilation unsuccessful after building 0 targets (0 cached) in 00:00:00.

Cheers,
Frank