[LLVMdev] Backends supporting multiple LLVM revisions...

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Fri Dec 7 13:31:13 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 08:58:21PM +0000, Relph, Richard wrote:
> Eric,
>     Once both AMD and Apple have advanced their respective internal LLVM versions past the point where AMDIL went in to LLVM TOT, then we can rip out all the conditional code and just have the one LLVM TOT. This is about managing the transition to that utopia… ;-)
>     Until then, the choices really come down to having support for multiple LLVM versions in TOT, or having multiple backends.
>     The problem arises because we were not able to get AMDIL in to llvm.org<http://llvm.org> from the very beginning, but we now have 2 "customers" - each with their own non-standard LLVM version - using AMDIL and we cannot abandon them. And they dictate the LLVM version they are going to use, not us.

Hi Richard,

Do you want to support older versions of LLVM with just bug fixes, or
new features as well?

If you are just applying bug fixes to the older versions, then I think
the best way to handle this would be to maintain a separate LLVM tree
for each version.

However, if you want all versions to be more or less functionality
equivalent, then I think the only solution is to create a standalone
AMDIL codebase that can overlay on top of the LLVM tree.  You can't have
conditional code based on the LLVM version in the main tree, because
all code for the older versions of LLVM would be dead and this would impose
a heavy maintenance burden on the community.

-Tom