[LLVMdev] Visual Studio 2012 cl.exe ICE while building LLVM for x64 (in TableGen) at -O2

Gordon Keiser gkeiser at arxan.com
Tue Dec 4 15:18:13 PST 2012

> On Behalf Of Nicholas Chapman
>
> On 04/12/2012 06:29, Michael Spencer wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Gordon Keiser <gkeiser at arxan.com>
> wrote:
> >> As an update to this:
> >> http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/769222/cl-
> >> exe-ice-when-building-llvm-trunk-at-o2
> >>
> >> Microsoft has reproduced the ICE, given a workaround, and is planning a
> fix for a future MSVC release.   I know not a lot of people are building with
> VS, but it's nice to know.  The workaround involves marking a single function
> with attribute((noinline)) and is detailed on the page,  so nothing too horrible
> there.
> > I'm guessing this was specific to the arm backend. As quite a few
> > people are building with MSVC daily.
> >

> No, it happens targeting x64, and maybe x86 as well.
>
>      Nick C.

Right, it's specific to Visual Studio 2012, the crash happens in two tablegen files when inlining utostr.   I've not run into it building with 2010 or 2008.   It's rather odd that utostr_32 doesn't cause the same issue since they share nearly identical code.

Gordon Keiser
Software Development Engineer
Arxan Technologies
Protecting the App EconomyT