[LLVMdev] Minimum Python Version

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Tue Dec 4 01:23:13 PST 2012

Hi Sean,

On 04/12/12 03:33, Sean Silva wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Duncan Sands <baldrick at free.fr> wrote:
>> Lenny came out in 2009, and
>> was the latest stable Debian release until 6 months ago, so it's not even
>> that
>> old.
>
> To put that in perspective, Lenny was released around r64555. That's pretty old.

it's not old in terms of operating system releases.  The fact it is old in terms
of LLVM versions doesn't seem very relevant to me.

> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Duncan Sands <baldrick at free.fr> wrote:
>> What is the reason for upgrading?  Is there a problem with python 2.4/2.5
>> that
>> can't be worked around?
>
> See my reply to Tobi just a minute ago. People with python3 as their
> /usr/bin/python are forced "install another Python locally" as well.
> Given the choice of making it easy for someone running a fully
> supported version of the Python language or for someone running a
> long-dead and unsupported version of the language, I think the choice
> is clear. I'm pretty sure that the effort is "significant" to support
> back to 2.4/2.5 while supporting python3.

OK, if it is really a binary choice between supporting python3 and supporting
2.4/2.5 then I too vote for python3.  But is it really all or nothing, I mean:
how painful is it to support every version, did you try or are you guestimating?

Ciao, Duncan.