[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Change tests to run with fixed (not-host dependent) triple

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Mon Dec 3 10:47:29 PST 2012

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm ok with this in principle, but how about with the nuance that some
>> tests (eg test/codegen) explicitly opt into march=native?
>>

> I'd really like the default behavior to be something that forces the test
> to either be independent of the targeted triple, or explicitly set a
> target. I like the default being unknown.
>
> I wonder, would the ability to run the entire test suite with all of the
> 'default' triples (that lit sets to unknown in normal runs) instead set to
> the host, or to a specific triple maybe be a useful extra form of checking?
> This would let both humans and build bots find bugs and discrepancies
> specific to a particular target.

I'd prefer not to do this universally (i.e., run the whole test suite that
way), but what I do think would be useful is to add enough test suite
support to be able to easily run the same test on multiple triples (or even
all configured ones).

My primary goal is to have the tests that individual developers be
equivalent (independent of the target they are running on).

 - Daniel

We could even have a common test target that build bots use which runs all