[LLVMdev] [RFC] "noclone" function attribute

Nadav Rotem nrotem at apple.com
Sun Dec 2 22:27:48 PST 2012

On Dec 2, 2012, at 10:11 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> 3) Please change random parts of the compiler to use CodeMetrics, instead of scattering random checks for this attribute throughout the code.  Anything duplicating code and not using CodeMetrics is just plain incorrect.

One problem that we may run into when using CodeMetrics is compile time. In many cases we are looking for one particular trait and can exit as soon as we find it without having to scan the entire basic block or function.  For example, the jump threading pass stops scanning additional instructions as soon as it passes the cost threshold.