[LLVMdev] Minimum Python Version

Eli Bendersky eliben at google.com
Sat Dec 1 13:09:05 PST 2012

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Gregory Szorc <gregory.szorc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to continue the discussion about minimum Python versions from the
> "Use multiprocessing instead of threading" thread in its own thread because
> I feel it warrants additional discussion.
>
> In that thread, we were discussing maintaining support for Python 2.4 and
> 2.5. The latest response is:
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> wrote:
>>
>> My official opinion on Python version support is to maintain old
>> compatibility, unless it is causing large problems with the code.
>

> I would like to offer a counter opinion.
>
> I believe LLVM should drop support for Python 2.4 and 2.5 for 2 main
> reasons:
>
> 1) Python 2.4 and 2.5 are end-of-lifed
> 2) Python 3 is coming

+1

I believe the need to support old versions is already causing problems
in the code base, the inability to switch to multiprocessing being the
most recent example.

Again, I realize that some platforms may have older versions of Python
pre-installed, but it shouldn't be a problem to install a newer
version of Python for the sake of LLVM development on such systems.

Eli