[LLVMdev] trouble with cmake+ninja

Sahasrabuddhe, Sameer Sameer.Sahasrabuddhe at amd.com
Mon Aug 27 00:34:38 PDT 2012

Hi,

I was trying Ninja to build the LLVM sources. I am using cmake version
2.8.8, latest ninja from git and latest LLVM from git.

Here's what I tried:

$ cmake -G Ninja -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=...
/path/to/src
$ ninja
$ ninja install

The installation aborted with the message below:

CMake Error at utils/TableGen/cmake_install.cmake:36 (FILE):
  file INSTALL cannot find
  "/local/home/ssahasra/obj/llvm/utils/TableGen/CMakeFiles/CMakeRelink.dir/llvm-tblgen".
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  cmake_install.cmake:47 (INCLUDE)

Is there anything wrong with my setup? I tried to comment out the
offending lines in utils/TableGen/cmake_install.cmake, just to see
what happens. But the error simply moved to another missing
CMakeRelink.dir. Also noticed that an equivalent "make install" using
cmake-generated makefiles first creates CMakeRelink.dir/llvm-tblgen
and many such binaries and shared objects, but apparently "ninja
install" is not doing that.

Sameer.