[LLVMdev] Pass llvm options to DragonEgg

Anitha Boyapati anitha.boyapati at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 03:37:04 PDT 2012

Hello All,

Another newbie question. I am confused as to what options will work
with "fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option" for dragonegg plugin. Readme
says it is used to pass command-line options to llvm. I shall
consolidate into 3 questions. For all examples below, I used combo-
gcc 4.6 + dragonegg(trunk) + llvm(trunk)

(1). Does 'fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option' allow all 'opt' options?

$ gcc -fplugin=dragonegg.so
-fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option='-disable-inlining' foo.c -S
cc1: Unknown command line argument '-disable-inlining'.  Try: 'cc1 -help'

(2). Does 'fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option' allow ONLY 'opt'
options? (by llvm options does it mean only opt)

(3). Depending on answer to (2), currently is there a way to pass llc
options to dragonegg? For instance -menable-unsafe-math?

$ gcc -fplugin=dragonegg.so
-fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option='-menable-unsafe-math' foo.c -S
cc1: Unknown command line argument '-menable-unsafe-math'.  Try: 'cc1 -help'

The case for passing 'llc' options stems from the requirement that
code generation is controlled by many llc options(math for example).
Please correct if the options are wrong.

- Anitha