[LLVMdev] TableGen related question for the Hexagon backend

Sebastian Pop spop at codeaurora.org
Fri Aug 3 10:20:17 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Jakob Stoklund Olesen <stoklund at 2pi.dk> wrote:
>> Why wouldn't it be acceptable for the *.td files defining the instructions
>> and the relations between them to be generated and not written by hand?
>
> Because it defeats the purpose of open source.
>
> It would be impossible to improve the way Hexagon models instructions without
> changing these tables, and if they are just intermediate build products
> generated from secret 'real' sources, it is much more difficult.
>
> This is supposed to be a collaboration that makes LLVM better for
> everybody.

I am only speaking about the Hexagon*.td files: I fail to see how generating
these from our a higher level representation of the Hexagon Instruction Set
manuals is "defeat[ing] the purpose of open source".  Let's not turn this
technical review into an "what is open source" thread.

> If you are just working around deficiencies in LLVM's tools instead
> of trying to improve them, there is really no point in sharing that work.

Just curious: what deficiencies in LLVM do you think we working around here?

Thanks,
Sebastian
--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc is a member of Code Aurora Forum