[LLVMdev] datalayout optimization question

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Mon Apr 16 15:29:57 PDT 2012

Are you expecting to use a single set of IR files to generate code for multiple targets? Otherwise I'm not sure why your .ll files would necessarily lack the data layout information. The reason I ask is that LLVM IR is fundamentally not target independent in ways far beyond the presence or absence of the data layout string.

For gory details: http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2011-October/043719.html.

Beyond that, rather large, caveat, I'm not sure of the answer to your specific question. It's not so much which optimizations are turned off, per se, but rather that some won't have the information they need (alignment data, for example) to do a good job, so they'll miss opportunities.

Regards,
  Jim