[LLVMdev] RTTI handling

Marshall Clow mclow.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 10:30:03 PDT 2011

On Sep 30, 2011, at 10:16 AM, Garrison Venn wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2011, at 12:15, Somorjai, Akos wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I was wondering how llvm and clang handles the RTTI shared libraries issue mentioned here: http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#dso
>>
>> Is it using name or address comparison?
>>
>> We have an architecture with several frameworks and plug-ins; some of the latter are being loaded and unloaded runtime.
>> In the past that issue caused crashes in our app, so at the moment we are overriding __dynamic_cast to detect this problem, but that's kind of messy. I'm hoping for a better solution with llvm…
>>
>> (Mac OS X 10.6/10.7, clang 3.0)
>
> LLVM does not use RTTI--it has its own mechanisms; see llvm/include/llvm/Support/Casting.h, and by default it is turning off for an LLVM build.

I don't think that's what the OP meant.

I think he's talking about using RTTI in his code - how LLVM generated code (and/or LLVM runtime libraries) handle RTTI.
I expect the answer is "The same as gcc, since code compiled with LLVM needs to interoperate with code compiled with gcc.

[ I too would like a better way of handling RTTI and dynamic libraries ]

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:mclow.lists at gmail.com>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki